At NYU Langone, volunteers provide essential social support to our patients, their families, and other visitors. Whether you’re interested in greeting and directing visitors or assisting with various other tasks, NYU Langone’s Volunteer Services can match you with the right opportunity.
Volunteer opportunities are available at the following locations throughout NYU Langone:
- Tisch Hospital, Kimmel Pavilion, and Hassenfeld Children’s Hospital—34th Street, all located on First Avenue in Manhattan
- NYU Langone Orthopedic Hospital
- NYU Langone Hospital—Brooklyn
- NYU Langone Hospital—Long Island
- Family Health Centers at NYU Langone
- many outpatient locations
Traditional volunteer positions do not involve providing or assisting in medical treatment. Opportunities to observe doctors and other providers are not available.
For more information about externships, internships, and research opportunities, please contact the Nontraditional Volunteer Department within NYU Langone Human Resources at email@example.com or 212-404-4170.
The application process can take four to eight weeks to complete. Please start by filling out an application. We review all applications, but only contact applicants whose interests and availabilities best match our needs. Interview requests are sent to your email address. More information is available on our application page.
Age Requirements and Time Commitment
Volunteers must be at least 16 years old to participate in our Junior Volunteer programs. All other volunteers must be at least 18 years old.
NYU Langone volunteers commit to a single four-hour shift per week, for a minimum of nine consecutive months. As a general rule, hospital volunteers are required to maintain a regular schedule, working on the same day, at the same time, every week. By the end, volunteers contribute at least 150 hours of service.
Summer volunteer opportunities are available to applicants age 16 and older who can dedicate 120 service hours over the summer months. Weekly shifts and time commitments vary between sites. For more detailed information specific to each program, please visit the Volunteer Services application page.
Placements are based on needs within NYU Langone and the availability of the volunteer. Orientations and interviews for summer volunteers are scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis until all available positions are filled.
Applications must be received by the site-specific deadline below for placement in that year’s upcoming summer program. Application submission periods are as follows:
- Tisch Hospital, Kimmel Pavilion, and Hassenfeld Children’s Hospital—34th Street: January 1 to March 31
- NYU Langone Orthopedic Hospital: January 1 to March 31
- NYU Langone Hospital—Brooklyn: January 1 to May 31
- NYU Langone Hospital—Long Island: January 1 to March 31
In order to accommodate volunteers who submitted applications for the 2020-2021 summer volunteer program at Tisch Hospital, Kimmel Pavilion, and Hassenfeld Children’s Hospital but were postponed due to COVID-19, applications for 2022 summer volunteers at these three locations will not be accepted.
If you are only applying for the summer volunteer program, please indicate that on the application. Only volunteers being considered for interviews are contacted.
Volunteers are placed according to the chosen location’s current needs, your availability, and program-specific requirements. Before you start, you must complete the Volunteer Services onboarding process. This includes a background screening, medical clearance, proof of influenza vaccination (depending on the time of year), and other compliance documents. There is also an orientation session for all new volunteers.
Volunteers fulfill the following roles at various NYU Langone locations:
- Greeters and Guest Services volunteers provide information and compassion to patients and visitors throughout the hospital, including main lobbies, inpatient, and outpatient units.
- Child life volunteers assist with playroom activities and socialize with children and families.
- Emergency and immediate care department volunteers provide comfort and communicate updates to family members.
- Animal-assisted therapy is provided by certified volunteers from approved organizations.
- Opportunities specific to NYU Langone in Brooklyn include physical, speech, and occupational therapy; Reach Out and Read Pediatric Literacy Program; Super Sprowtz nutrition program; and opportunities at the Family Health Centers at NYU Langone.
- Opportunities specific to NYU Langone Hospital—Long Island include Baby Cuddler Program, Delirium Program, and Strolling Musicians.
Please contact the site of your choosing directly for any questions you may have regarding available volunteer opportunities:
- For information on opportunities at Tisch Hospital, Kimmel Pavilion, Hassenfeld Children’s Hospital—34th Street, and nearby outpatient locations, please call 212-263-6100 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For information on opportunities at NYU Langone Orthopedic Hospital and nearby outpatient programs, please call 212-598-6020 or email email@example.com.
- For information on opportunities at NYU Langone Hospital—Brooklyn, please call 718-630-7296 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For information on opportunities at NYU Langone Hospital—Long Island, please call 516-663-2391 or email email@example.com.